Architecture

Architecture Content

Our architectural heritage is one of the most tangible aspects of our heritage. By conserving our historic buildings we help to preserve them for future generations to enjoy as part of their heritage, just as we do now.

14 Henrietta Street

Henrietta Street is considered to be one of the first and finest planned Georgian streets in Dublin. Its development spans 1729-1758. Amongst its qualities is the rare level of its preservation both as a street and in terms of individual houses, in particular the interiors. The street has survived in spite of its various and in some cases, deeply destructive incarnations.

The Heritage Council grant-aided the Window & Door Conservation Programme at no. 14 Henrietta Street. This work was undertaken by Dublin City Council in 2011 as part of the implementation of the Heritage Council-funded Henrietta Street Conservation Plan (2004) [5mb]. The conservation plan identifies a series of required interventions to both the exterior and interior of a number of houses on the street. Ultimatley it is invisaged that some of these buildings will be used for temporary cultural activites.

For further details please contact Charles Duggan, Dublin City Heritage Officer at 012222856 email charles.duggan@dublincity.ie 

Please roll-over images to display controls.


Conservation Works

Dublin City Council successfully completed structural engineering works to no. 14 in September 2009, as part of the implementation of the Conservation Plan. The Window and Door Conservation Programme undertaken in 2011 included the repair of 6 existing late-C18th windows, the reinstatement of 31 new windows and the reinstatement of the front door. The design of the new windows is based on surviving late- and early-C18th windows from both no. 14 and from other houses on the street.

A photograph of the original front door which was recorded in the 'Irish Georgian Society Records' was used as the basis for the design for the reinstated door. All surviving oak window frames were repaired and the internal window joinery was consolidated. Minor repairs to some brickwork was also required around the window openings. For aesthetic reasons new 'cylinder glass', as well as 'modern float glass' is used. Both the windows and doors are painted using a muted, dark brown, linseed oil-based paint.

Henrietta Street

From the mid- to late-C18th, Henrietta Street was home to the political and social elite. Throughout the early-C19th period the legal profession was dominant, and into the mid-C20th many of the houses became tenements. These rapid changes have left scars on the street and on the interiors, yet it is impressive that of the thirteen original structures, 11 ½  houses remain largely intact today.

The Architecure of No. 14

14 Henrietta Street was built simultaneously to nos. 13 and 15 as part of a uniform terrace, all three houses share the same plan. Although it has suffered considerably from vandalism and neglect, the house still retains some important original features of note. Built by Luke Gardiner, its first known occupant (from c.1752) was Richard Molesworth, 3rd Viscount of Molesworth, Commander in Chief of the military in Ireland.

It is a four-bay, four-storeys over basement house, the red brick faÁ§ade retains much of its original brickwork, although the windows on the ground and first floors were lowered in the late-C18th, as was the fashion. One of the finest surviving features of the house is the stone door case, consisting of an Ionic aedicule with full entablature and pulvinated frieze with a segmental pediment.

The interior plan is largely original, though the primary entrance/ stair-hall which rose to the first floor level was removed in the C19th. The original joinery and plasterwork in the rooms at ground and first floor level was replaced at the end of the C18th, although the original heavy plasterwork of the stair-hall is substantially intact.

This project received €55,000 in grant-aid under the Conservation Plan Led Projects Grants Scheme 2011.